Introduction to Play Therapy
This introductory course will begin with a short introduction to CAPT and the Certification Process. Following the morning break a presentation will begin on the various definitions of play therapy. The therapeutic powers of play will be presented and applied to the play therapy process. Students will also learn how to set up a playroom and a portable play therapy kit and how to select appropriate toys and materials.
- Define play therapy and the difference between play and play therapy
- Identify the value and therapeutic powers of play
- Identify the types of play and the differences in play exhibited by children who are struggling with life experiences and developmental disruptions.
- Cite the developmental stages of play.
- Identify how to set up a play room and how to select toys and materials to facilitate therapeutic growth.
- Identify how to set up a portable play therapy kit.
- Discuss how the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action and structural racism impact Play Therapy practice.